One of the benefits of “Feasting on Jesus” as I wrote in my previous blog is that we find answers to life’s biggest questions. Questions like:
- Why am I here?
- Who am I?
- What is the purpose of life?
- What happens when we die?
- Why do we suffer?
- Where is it all going?
Questions similar to these were put to us when I attended InterVarsity Northwest during my college days in the mid-1970s and they were common questions that every generation thought about and should think about. The answers I’ve found in Jesus are as follows:
- I am here because God chose to create me and put me where I am. He loves me and wanted me and knew me before he created me in my mother’s womb. (Jeremiah 1:5).
- I am a person created in the image of God. My worth and my value come from God who loves me. (Genesis 1:26-28; Psalms 139; Luke 12:24; and Romans 8:32).
- The purpose of life is to know God, to love him and enjoy him forever, and to love and enjoy those people, things and places he provides. We are to live righteous and holy lives. (Genesis 1:26-28; 1 John 3:23-24).
- When I die I will go to be with him in a wonderful place and I will be resurrected from the dead in the last day. (John 5:24-29, Revelation 21 and 22).
- We suffer because we live in a world that has fallen away from God, but it will not always be this way. (Romans 8:18-25).
- God is guiding the events of history to bring about an end to evil and suffering, and to restore the Creation to the glory he had planned for it from the beginning. (The book of Revelation).
Because I am in him, I have eternal life and will dwell in a new heaven and a new earth! Wow! That’s exciting! (John 3:16-17 and 5:24). Because of Jesus we can have life, life that is abundant and free. The joy and the wealth we have in Christ come from finding real answers to life’s BIG questions. When we know who we are, why we are here, and where we are going it gives us freedom, joy, and peace that the world knows nothing about and cannot take away.
This is Pastor Andy Maxwell, hoping you have the experience and joy of knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.